Ways to Pay Your Bill
- Online: The Town of Benson has implemented a secure, convenient and user-friendly online payment system for our utility customers. The new interface provides countless benefits to customers, enabling them to pay their bills faster, easier, and with greater securely. This service will be PROVIDED WITH NO ADDITIONAL COST TO THE CUSTOMER. Some of the key new features include:
- A "Pay Now" feature: This allows for quick payments without having to register an account
- A Customer Portal: Where individuals can register their utility accounts and allow users to view and pay multiple accounts at once. You will also be able to view payment history and consumption information.
- Finally, you will have the option to securely save your payment method and the opportunity to schedule automatic payments from your credit card! To access "Pay Now" - https://ipn.paymentus.com/rotp/tbup
To access "Customer Portal" - https://ipn.paymentus.com/cp/tbup
Sign up for paperless billing with email reminders and no longer fill your mailbox with envelopes from the Town of Benson!
If you have any questions, please contact the Finance Department at 919-894-3553
- Over The Phone: To make secure payments over the phone please dial: 1-844-200-2972. This number uses the same system as our online billing system to provide a secure and convenient way for users to pay their utility bill.
- By Mail: Please enclose the top portion of your bill with your check or money order.
- In Person: At collections office located in Town Hall. Please bring your bill with you.
- Night Depository: Located on the Johnston Street side of Town Hall building. Please insert payment, along with the top portion of your bill, in an envelope. Payments placed in the drop box during normal business hours will be considered next day payments.
- By Bank Draft: Avoid late fees and disconnection by signing up for an automatic draft! Fill out the draft form, attach a voided check and return in one of the following ways:
- Mail to: Town of Benson PO Box 69 Benson NC 27504
- Night Drop Box: Across from the Billing Office Entrance adjacent to N. Johnson St.
- Fax to: 919-894-1283
- Return in person to Utility Department: 303 E Church St. Benson, NC 27504
New bills will be sent out on the 5th day of each month.
If you feel this bill is incorrect and cannot resolve your complaint with a Customer Service Representative, the customer has the right to request a review by the municipality's Town Clerk. You may contact the Town Clerk at the Town Hall, 303 East Church Street, or at telephone number 919-894-3553, between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. If you believe a bill is in error, bring the bill and any other supporting documents to the Town Clerk at the time and place stated above, except on holidays observed by the Town.
Return Check Charges
In accordance with North Carolina Law (G.S. 25-3-512), a charge is made for each check returned. This charge is currently $25 per check and is subject to change by order of the Board of Commissioners.
When Your Bill Is Due
All utility bills are due and payable upon receipt. Bills are sent out on the 5th of each month and will be due on the 22nd of the month and cut-outs will be on the 30th of each month.
If you feel the bill is incorrect, please contact the Town Hall immediately upon receipt at 919-894-3553, between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
When Bills Are Past Due
An account is considered past due if payment has not been received by the opening of business on the 23rd day of the month.
Late Penalty On Past Due Bills
A 1.5% late penalty will be added to any utility bill that is not paid by the appropriate due date.
No additional notices, second notices, door hangers, etc. will be sent out. It is your responsibility to know when your bill payment is due.
A $25 Reconnection Fee will be charged for service reconnected during normal business hours. After normal business hours a $50 reconnect fee will be charged. The request for service after normal business hours should be directed to the Non-Emergency After Hours line at 919-934-9411.
The Town of Benson strives to treat its citizens and customers in a fair and indiscriminate manner, while recognizing the distinct needs and requirements of each customer. To provide uniformity of service, the Town has adopted customer service policies. The policies serve as reasonable responses to customer needs while meeting the requirements of good business practice for the Town. Both the customer and Town have unique rights and responsibilities towards utility service, and they are outlined along with customer service policies in the Town's Customer service policy manual. Any customer citizen may have access to review these polices at any time during normal business hours. A customer service representative will assist you.
The Town of Benson is a public power community, along with 64 other towns and cities in North Carolina. Public power means that our electric system is owned and controlled by the citizens of this town. Unlike investor owned systems, our electric system does not pay a dividend to shareholders. Our "Stockholders" are our citizens and customers, those who benefit from our services. This allows us to operate in a cost-effective and service-oriented matter, to provide the services our customers desire. We have a vested interest in our community, and actively seek to create a better standard of living for us all.